February 03, 2010

{And Yet Another Candle Facelift}

**Bare with me, this is lengthy**
So, I think I mentioned before that we are planning a BIG make-over for our kitchen/living room. It's going to be a pretty dramatic change too. When we moved into our home it was already painted a nice tuscan beigey color. I liked it, my decor was already a little "tuscan-ish" lots of bordeaux, apple green & mustard yellow (uhm...actually much cuter than it sounds). You should also know that the layout of our house is kind of weird, we only have 1 small window in the living room and an even smaller window in the kitchen over the sink. So there is NO natural light in our house. It's been feeling really dark lately (especially with the sun setting at 5pm lately.,.bleck). Plus most of my accessories are black (thanks to that black spray paint virus that hit blogland recently).

I've been contemplating changing the paint for awhile, but it's going to be a big job b/c the kitchen & living room have an open floor plan, and, oh yea, did I mention I HATE painting. Anywho...After spending months stalking design blogs, I've really been falling in love with the light airy cottage beachy decor. The hubby & I made a trip to check out paint samples and also brought home a sheet of bead board. LOVE. Yup, I'm in love. We haven't begun painting yet, b/c Hubby's been traveling a lot for work. But hopefully in the next week or so we'll (by "we'll, I actually mean "he'll") be able to get started.

That was all a lot of wordy "blah blah blah" to tell you this. So, since it's not really feasible for me to go out and buy all new decor to match my new beachy feel, I'm trying to make over things that I already own. Should be easy enough, right? Yea, well, we'll see! Ok, so here's my newest project. Remember these candles?
  
Yea, you know the ones that were left over from our wedding, the same ones I've been changing up a lot lately. Let's refresh your memory shall we.


Well, I thought these would be the easiest to change up to match my new beachy decor. First, I painted them, I know, right, yes I am crazy, but it totally worked! I painted them with the paint sample I bought, but decided I wanted the blue to pop a little more, so I added a 2nd coat of an acrylic paint that was a little darker blue.

Then I hot glued some scraps of burlap onto them and hot glued a Starfish that I bought from qualityshells.com (super great prices on their shells).



Couldn't get any easier than that! I'm pretty sure those big black metal sconces are going to see some white spray paint in their future.  I really like them, and I know they'll look a million times better with the new wall & sconce colors.

22 comments:

Its So Very Cheri said...

I love Love LOVE THEM.

I am booking up--Tutorials on Thursdays--if you are interested in doing on I would love to have you. Let me know

Cheri

Linda said...

I'm lovin' those beachy candles...awesome idea for COASTAL CHARM:)

Blessings,
Linda

Scrapity Anne said...

These are GORGEOUS Heidi! And what a great way to change your decor for the seasons, but without major changes to your walls. I LOVE this idea!!!

Holly said...

I love the candles! Great job, and I never would've thought to paint them. I definitley think you should paint those sconces' white, they will pop and look very "cottage-ish".

Our family room is a "shabby coastal" type decor and I decorated in sea colors and bought a bag of shells and put them in vases around the room. I also just bought a distressed entryway table in a sage green color that I CAN'T wait to have shipped to me! I will post pictures of it when I get it... I'm sure you could do the same thing to some of your furniture without paying for it like I did... sigh, wish I could craft like you. Anyway, enough rambling, can't wait to see your transformation!!

Manuela@TPOH said...

Those candles look very beachy chic!

Manuela

Katie said...

LOVE the beachy idea! That is my house...the coastal blues, browns, whites and tans..aww! So calming! I can't wait to see befores and afters!!!

MERN said...

I love em! Its always fun to collect shells from different beaches. Don't forget to get cute bottles with cork lids to fill with sand!

~ RM said...

Ooh, so refreshing! I love the burlap, of course! Sorry I haven't been by in a while- my 'dashboard' has been skipping some blogs' updates! :| I missed out on a few good posts, I see!

Susan S. said...

Cute way to dress up the plain candles! yOU rOCK!

jenjen said...

Sooo cute! I love the starfish and the burlap. So pretty!

Thanks for linking up!!!

XOXO
Jen

Andrea said...

What great ways to dress up a candle!

Andrea @ TheTrainToCrazy.com

Wendy said...

Very frugal! And they look great!

Visiting from Cottage Instincts!

Ashleigh said...

OH man my candles need some serious help. Brilliant and easy. Love that! Thanks.

Tiff @ Making The World Cuter said...

So dang cute! Thanks for sharing and for linking back! :)
-Tiff

Heather@ theherberfamily.blogspot.com said...

They all turned out great, and I love those black holders you have!

Thank you so much for stopping by the Talented Tuesday at My Frugal Family link party, and adding this to the page! Don’t forget to stop back next week to see which links from this week are featured, and to add your new links!

Kim said...

That is my favorite candle version so far. Nice!

Lynette said...

Love that first set - with the burlap ribbon and orange flower and the blue and star fish - seriously too cute!!

Thanks for coming around to visit!!

Brittany said...

great idea and so easy to change out for every holiday!!

stop by my goodwill goodies blog party every wednesday!

Lori said...

I love the blue.. Our beach place is painted blue, and bright colors. Totally different than our house.. I love everything beachy... I'm going to email you an idea and would love to know what you would think... It's for your house..

Thanks for joining me for another great party at "Get Your Craft on Thurs." Please join me next week for another wonderful party..

Please stop by for a big annoucement Tuesday, 16th. I'm so excited...

Lori

Maryann @ Domestically-Speaking said...

Who knew? I guess you really can paint anything. Love it all beachy... guess we're all craving summer right about now. Thanks for sharing at the Power of Paint Party.

Frugal Home Design said...

Those look awesome. I never thought to paint candles. Brilliant.

pink and green mama said...

I LOVE that you have "seasonal" candles!! : )