February 13, 2010

I HEART Dollar Tree

Dear Dollar Tree,  thank you for supplying me with a plethora of *cheap* and easy projects.  We all know there are TONS of dollar tree makeover projects in blogland right now.  And, I've been in LOVE with all of them.  So.....the other day I made a trip to the dollar store and came home with 5 bags of stuff.  Uhm, yea, that's A LOT from the dollar tree, just in case you were wondering.  This is all a part of my transformation from tuscan to coastal decor.  So, here we go.

The birdie tealights, I've been looking for these FOR-EV-ER, and finally found two behind some picture frames, wooohooo! As is, these would have been perfect for my current decor.  But, we are changin it up people!  You can see here, here and here for a couple other ladies who also changed em up.

Before

After
Let's all sing like the birdies sing...tweet, tweet, tweet...tweet, tweet....Are ya feelin' em? I'm not crazy for their paint job, I'm kind of a horrible painter....seriously, 1st grade status. So we'll see, maybe they'll get a change up.

A HUGE Thank You to Dollar Store Crafts for letting me know that I'm NOT crazy, and that I saw this next project over at Mad in Crafts!!
....So the Dollar Tree has these "fun" stepping stones.


The quotes on them are awesome (there are several different ones), but what's with the paint color?  So, I painted mine, a little ivory, a little light blue, a little metallic bronze....
Just dry brush the colors on, easy peasy (well, I won't lie, that yellow was STUBBORN).  I'm planning to put this up on top of my cabinets, I think it's sweet.

I also painted another one and donated it to our youth group at church.  They are having a silent auction to raise money for their mission trip to the Ukraine this summer.  These kids are amazing, they work so hard to raise money so that they can spend their summer helping & ministering to others.

Oh yea...oooooh, these are my FAVORITE! I think I'm the last person to make these.  These ladies made them, here, here, & here.  These are so easy it's crazy.  Why would we pay a lot for hurricanes ever again?  You buy a $1 vase and a $1 candle stick, take some gorilla glue epoxy and slap it all together.

And you get this! (yea, you like how I'm just going to pretend that you can't see all the other "stuff" in that picture)

Then you fill them with some pretty beachy stuff and voila, new centerpieces for my table. Which I would have a picture of if I could find the charger for my camera.

25 comments:

the thrifty ba said...

why does your dollare tree have cooler stuff than mine???

Connie Weiss said...

So...it would appear that I need to visit a dollar store. There are a million of them in Utah...You'd think I'd have visited one by now.

Visiting from Tatertots and Jello

3busybs said...

i too am from tnj. Nice work!

Linda said...

I luv those birdie tealights...I must go and get me some!

Blessings,
Linda

Kim @ seven thirty three said...

The Thrifty Ba has it right! I have been stalking my $$$ store and have not had any of these cute things for me to make my hurricane vases and I have such a good place for them. I'll just keep at it!

And I can't wait to see how you transform those plaques... love the tease!

Kim
seven thirty three - - - a creative blog

Diane {createdbydiane.blogspot.com} said...

I love dollar tree too :)
Love everything you did!
I'm following and look forward to see what you'll blog next.

Karolyn said...

Love those hurricanes! And the Faith Hope and Love plaques - Can't wait to see the final product!

Heather - Dollarstorecrafts.com said...

The plaque project was madincrafts.blogspot.com, I think.

jenjen said...

Look at all of your projects!! So fun!! I love those. What cool stepping stones. ANd I never would have thought those little birds were from the Dollar Store!

XOO
Jen

Angie @ The Country Chic Cottage said...

Girl I am hooked on the dollar tree too!! I have been looking and looking for those birds ever since Gina at the SCC found them....I have yet to find any....lucky duck!!

Its So Very Cheri said...

Go Heidi Go--You will do fabulous with your cute little personality. Just let the monkey go wild...
Hey I did not see you on my new follower area-can you go back in and sign up so I can enter you for the give-a-way.

Cheri

Tausha said...

you go girl! Don't you just love the dollar store? Sometimes, I go there way too much!! Ok, not really sometimes, a lot! Great ideas! I am loving your blog and and I also love your sons bedding. I too would want to cuddle up...often!

kirstin & jordan said...

look at you- these are FABULOUS. I especially love the make-your-own hurricane lamp! I'd never have thought of that- seriously, what a terrific idea!
We have a Friday Fun Find party- we'd love it if you'd link up!

JHill said...

Love the colors on your plaque redo. Glad you were finally able to track down my site! :D

madincrafts.blogspot.com

Jennifer said...

You did a great job transforming all of your great finds!!

NurseryLove said...

LOVE the birds! You got those at Dollar Tree!?! Not Fair! I'm on my way not to check it out! :)

Silvana said...

I did the same exact thing to that little birdy candle holder! down to the pretty blue shade!

And I love your idea about the raised hurricane vases!

Dollar Tree is one of my favorite places ever.

Laurie said...

I bought those same birds too! I knew they would be awesome a different color, maybe black or white? Love the Dollar Tree!

Lori said...

Don't you just love the dollar store.. I know i do.. Everything looks great.

Thanks for joining Get Your Craft on Thurs. at Life As Lori

Please join me next week for another great party!

Mel Tales said...

Dollar Tree is a favorite of mine too! LOVE IT! I bought some little birds there too!
And I am loving the DIY apothecary jars.

Heather@ My Frugal Family said...

I love, love, love Dollar Tree!

Thank you so much for linking up with the Talented Tuesday link party at My Frugal Family, which is hosted every Tuesday. Please feel free to stop back in every week and post your newest projects!

Debilou~Mississippi Mama said...

I've seen those plaques at my dollar tree but couldnt stand the hideous color,, Now I'm thinking I might try your idea,, looks good. Thanks for sharing yours with us.

Emily {Frilly Details} said...

Wow!! Great finds! Thanks for the inspiration :)

Your Frugal Friend, Niki said...

The metamorphosis is amazing!

:)

Dollar store said...

Dollar Store
nice post, thanks for sharing...